It's that time of year again, my favorite time of year... ROCKTOBER!! And with that this year brings the 5th anniversary of the awesome Aftershock Festival in Sacramento. This year's line up is a much heavier line up than years past and people are stoked! The festival is SOLD OUT!! So if you're heading to Sacramento this weekend be ready for some traffic.
Luckily this year Aftershock is back at Discovery Park... thank GOODNESS!! After the parking debacle of 2015 I'm sure everyone was stoked for the return to Discovery Park. A few tips from previous years experience...
1. Wear sunscreen. I know, I know. I sound like your mom. But believe me the Sacramento sun is nothing to mess with. You'll be drinking beers waving your band tee in the air all in good fun during the day, then the night will come and you'll be hating life.
2. Bring a sweater. It gets cold at night. I don't know about you, but I hate being cold and no amount of alcohol will help keep me warm. Unless I'm passed out. But then, where's the fun in that?
3. Wear comfortable shoes that you don't really care about. Don't be one of those girls trying to walk across the grass in your high heels. You look ridiculous and no one thinks that's hot when you get your heel stuck in the grass. Wear some cute boots or something. Sexy and comfortable!! But take note, your shoes and everything else you're wearing for that matter will end up covered in a layer of dust by the end of the day.
4. Bring a bandana to wear around your face. No not to look like a gangster, to prevent yourself from consuming and breathing in all the dust. You'll thank me later. Believe me. Plus you'll kind of look like a badass.
5. Bring cash. Do you really want to wait in line at the ATM while your favorite band is hitting the stage? I think not.
Ok, enough of all that. Let's get to the good stuff... the MUSIC!! It's an awesome line up this year and there are definitely some must see's on my list! Saturday kicks off with The Shrine on the Capital Stage. They're a super fun band out of Venice, CA who categorize themselves as Psychadelic Violence Rock and Roll. I saw them open up for a band called Graveyard at Slim's in SF. I liked them so much I bought one of their hoodies... if they're cool enough for me to buy a hoodie then you gotta check them out. Saturday also brings Bay Area favorites Death Angel. These dudes have been around forever and always put on an awesome show. If you're a fan of old school Metallica, Slayer or any other thrash metal band, Death Angel is a must see. Plus you gotta support the local guys! Also hitting the stage Saturday is Avatar, Motionless In White, Drakulas, Baroness, Face to Face, Anthrax, Deafhaven, Meshuggah, The Pretty Reckless, Primus, Slayer and finally headliners Tool who are sure to bring it with an amazing light show.
Highlights for Saturday's line-up: